Sunday 24 July 2011

Constructive

Today was a very constructive day, in more way that one.

Joe and I built a fence, from scratch, and painted it.  Now we have privacy and security in our back yard.  It feels good.

When we first moved in, we decided to build a fence, but rather than build a solid one, we built one with a trellis, so as not to  block out our neighbours - to be a bit more sociable.  Although this seemed like the right thing to do, we have struggled since, because our neighbours haven't been very sociable, so we've not used our garden as much as we'd have liked.

So, because we're moving, we decided to build a solid fence for our tenants, so they have privacy.  But now we've done and it it looks and feels so good, we wondered why we didn't just stop being so considerate to our inconsiderate neighbours and build the fence ages ago, so we could enjoy our garden more while we were here?

I think this is an example of where I need to get a better  balance between being considerate of others and my own needs.  Sometimes the balance is too skewed to my detriment.  It's ok to put myself first.

Inspired by my brother's girlfriend's dad, I moved the hanging baskets from the hooks on the wall and put them on pots along the new fence and it looks really good.

It was a lovely warm sunny day too, and we started packing!

No comments:

Post a Comment